Friday, June 24, 2016

Blueberry Cardamom & Clove Jam -Pectin Free!

It's blueberry season. 

Earlier this week, I took the boys to our special spot to pick and we got a bucket full. We had enough for munching and enough for jam. Yes! 

So, today, I made jam. I wanted to try something different tho. I searched Pinterest and Google for recipes that sounded tasty, but none were quite what I wanted. So, in typical "me" fashion, I made it up. 

Here's what I know about blueberries: They are low in pectin. They congeal when mashed up. I don't like them too sweet.

Here's what I came up with: 
Blueberry Cardamom & Clove Jam

Here's how I did it:

-8 cups of blueberries (whole, unmashed)
-3 cups of brown sugar
-2 lemons
-a squirt of vanilla
-a generous sprinkle of cardamom
-a generous sprinkle of clove
***those last 3 ingredients can be omitted, decreased or increased based on your tastes!***

Mix washed blueberries, brown sugar, juice of the lemons into a pot and get 'em boiling. Add the vanilla and spices whenever you want to. My opinion is that the later you add the vanilla, the more you taste it, but the earlier you add the spices the more time they have to do their magic! My best advice...experiment! ;)
Once this is boiling, lower it to a steady simmer until the mixture is reduced by about half. 
***While it's simmering and reducing, prep your jars and lids! I used 3 1/4 pint jars (4oz each), 1 pint jar and had about a quarter pint left over...so plan on 2 pints.
When it has reduced by about half, fill the jars, leaving about a 1/4" of head space. Can them in a water bath (about 10 minutes).  
Listen for that ever-satisfying "POP", and enjoy that leftover little bit on some fresh bread! 


1 comment: