Friday, February 27, 2015

Operation: Simplicity, Part 2: Peace


If I had to choose one verse from the entire Bible to be my "life verse", it would be this one.  I have struggled with depression for years now, and have always been comforted by the truth that my Jesus guards my heart and my mind.  He gives me true peace; a peace that passes all understanding.

As God has been leading me through lessons on simplicity, I have come to realize that simplicity is a state of being at peace.  It is the ability to live in the Lord's truths.  To not live life with a spirit of fear and timidity, but in the spirits of power, love and self-discipline (2nd Timothy 1:7).  Instead, to dwell on those things that are true, noble, right pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy!

I'm pregnant. This is #3, and anxiety has been unwelcome, but present this go around.  To combat the anxiety I have turned to Jesus and nesting.  Combine those with lessons on simplicity and no room in my house is safe.  The word that best describes it is "purging".  I have a deep..DEEP...desire for peace and calm, and to obtain that peace I find myself placing less value on my possessions.  You see, when I have a lot of "stuff", it occupies my mind.  It clutters my brain.  It strips me of the peace that I so desire by replacing Godly thoughts/time with stuff-ly thoughts/maintenance. It robs me of time I could be spending with Jesus, or my family, or my friends. so, I get rid of the things we don't need or use. Adios!

A while back, I came across this quote in a pin on Pinterest:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." 
                            -William Morris.

As an overly-practical person, I can accept the first part of this quote with ease, but the latter half left me a little frustrated.  Beautiful?  Beautiful.  Here is my former definition of beautiful: girly. Pretty self-explanatory, and being the only female in the house led me to believe that anything girly, and therefore beautiful, was outlawed in our home. Beautiful isn't practical.

Enter: God's Truth.

True beauty is anything that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy!

(Here's where God's lesson on simplicity comes into play recently.)

Beautiful things draw my focus to my Creator.  He is the source of true beauty. He is also my source of peace.  If something draws my attention to Him it is worthy to be in my home!  If it draws my focus towards Jesus, then bring it on!

I will put a vase of flowers on the table (albeit, the discounted ones from the grocery store, because remember I'm overly-practical!).

I will surround myself with photos of my family. They are the truest beauties of my life!

I will plaster the walls with the words of truth God gave me.  To remind me of His beauty: those things that are true, noble,right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy!

I will surround myself, and my family, with things that are practical and things that are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment