Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tattoos and Pitas (Days 6-8)

Day 6: Bacon Egg Breakfast Cups
I don't have a picture.  I slacked a little.  I apologize.
I started these little yummies on Wednesday night because I needed to have them ready Thursday at 7:15am.  I found the idea linked from here.  Basically, I wrapped bacon around the edges of cupcake tins then poured beaten eggs in the middle.  I baked them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes Wednesday night to "set" the eggs (creating less mess potential in my fridge).  I baked them for another 20ish minutes in the morning at 350 degrees again.  If I had to do it again (and I would!) I would par bake the bacon in the tins before adding the eggs, and I would not put milk in the eggs (I like to put some milk in my scrambled eggs...is that normal!?).  The high schoolers who ate them said they like them, so I say Day 6 was a success!


Day 7: 
Name Canvasses 
I had some adorable assistance on day 7, and to be honest it was completely unplanned!  I had 2 canvasses laying around that I wasn't going to use, and I had one finger-painted canvas from my little guy that needed a good finish.  I taped their names on the canvasses with masking tape and we let them go to town with finger paint.  Next time, I would not use every color finger paint.  I would only offer complementing colors...I think this would ward off the look of the "d" word that everyone w/o kids thinks is "icky".  With that said, these 2 and 3 year olds LOVED using every. single. color. available. twice.  I saw this idea on Pinterest, but there is no link...in the words of my 2 year old, "bummer dude!" 

They were a royal mess!  I hosed them off at the end :)

 The final product with the artists.  My kid is the shirtless, backwards dino hat wearer.  Cute huh? :)


Tattoo Stand (also day 7):

This is quite possibly my favorite Pinterest...post? thing? pin?...EVER!  Take a backseat lemonade stands (be sure to say that like the words themselves taste like dirty socks)!  Temporary tattoo stands are the new thing!  
Sully has a great little friend named Oliver who lives a few blocks away.  Oliver has ridiculously cool parents...hence the ridiculously cool tattoo stand, and the ridiculously cool little guy who is my little guy's partner in crime.  We will be sorry when they are teenagers.  Of this, I am sure!  Our little town has a county "celebration" weekend called the Jessamine Jamboree every year and Main street is a giant craft show/fair.  It's a lot of fun, and since Oliver lives right on Main street, it was the perfect location for our little entrepreneurs. 
 To be honest, Jess (Ollie's mom) and I probably had more fun than the boys.  This could have been a result of the bounce house that was erected across the street after we set up shop.  They did, however, really enjoy washing the quarters in the bowl of water.  Don't worry, we didn't use the dirty quarter water on anyones ink.  We did use the super clean quarters to play games across the street later though! :)


Day 8: Pita Bread
Do you see this beautiful ball of dough?
Yes, this one in the picture above.  

I like to look at it.  

Just to be sure you don't forget this little blob of bliss, 
here it is again for your viewing pleasure:

 
Now you're hooked right?  You want to know what gorgeous ball of dough will be, don't you?  Since you can find the directions here (and please trust me...these are EASY and you have the 4 ingredients in your pantry!), I get to simply show you beautiful pictures of dough miraculously transforming into a fun little pocket of goodness. Watch, and enjoy the transformation.  Be as amazed as I was this afternoon... 

 My little babies resting after being kneaded and rolled out.  Do you hear the angles singing yet?

 Getting ready for their introduction to the oven.  Cue "Hallelujah Chorus"...

 "HALLELUJAH!" 
This was after about 5 minutes in the oven.  
Yes, I did in fact sit on my kitchen floor and watch the dough "poof" up! 

 These little stinkers are good!  Confession: I ate 3.  

 And these little men shared one too.  That's right, even your 2 year old and 9 month old will like them (said in cheesy announcer voice)!
I will no longer be buying bread of sandwiches.  This is WAAAYYY easier and MUCH more rewarding to make!  The super responsible mom inside of me really likes that I know what's in these, so I know that what I'm feeding my boys is good for them :)

Stay tuned!  More fun to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment